05 62 92 07 18 (choix 1) (9h-12h / 17h-21h)
Lat : 42.807734 / Long : -0.099804
Take the four-lane road out of Lourdes, passing Argelès-Gazost. At the Soulom roundabout take the turning to Cauterets.
After Cauterets, continue along the D920 past la Raillère, following signs to Pont d'Espagne, and turn off to the left towards the Fruitière.
Park at the end of the road at the Hôtellerie de la Fruitière.
Map: IGN Top 25 1647 OT Vignemale
Time: 2 hrs (around 1hr 15mins back)
Climb: around 450 m for 12.5 km return trip
Directions from La Fruitière
This is a walk for all the family (The path is easy and well marked)
- Pass the Hôtellerie de la Fruitière and cross over the footbridge. Turn right and follow the clear wide path up along the Lutour stream. After 45 mins you will pass the Pouey-Caut hut on your left.
- Carry on along the bank of the stream until you reach a fork with a signpost to the Russell refuge. Ignore this and continue straight on, following the Lutour.
- You’ll soon get to the Pouey Caut footbridge.
Cross over the Lutour and continue up the other bank until you reach the Estom refuge and lake.
Round the lake : 1.2km / time : 0 hrs 15 mins
- Turn right onto the path which circles the lake and brings you back to the refuge.
Return : distance : 5.6km / descent: 450m / time: 1hr15mins
- Go back down by the same route.